The Pavlovski Grenadiers advancing
This visually appealing unit of Kutuzov’s Russian army at Borodino stood out by the usage of their old fashioned grenadier mitre caps.
After an honourable conduct at the Battle of Friedland in 1807, Tsar Alexander ordered that the Pavlovski Grenadiers would be allowed, as the only unit in the whole army, to keep the old miters " in the state in which they left the battlefield as visible mark of the unit's bravery and Our grace."
With the mitres as a visible field sign, they soon induced fear when spotted on the battlefield by the enemy. After yet more gallant display the unit was admitted into the Imperial Guard in 1813.
Figures by Victrix (now Brigade Games). Flag by GMB.
Amazingly the unit remained in service, still using mitre up till the very end of the First World War and the fall of Tsarist Russia in 1917.